Create an Identity

Sunday, September 28, 2008

You know that age old saying that it's best to just be yourself and then the friends will start flowing. Well it's not true. Well not true to an extent. Here at University in order to be known and stick out from the rest you've gotta be a ninja.

It's very easy to just fade away into the background at University because there are just so many people. Well here at Rhodes University there's 6000 students but places like UCT and WITS cater for over 20 000 students. Now that's a hell of a lot if you compare it to dear old High School.

Therefore my advice to you is that you create an identity for yourself that you love and if you love that identity then people will be drawn, like a magnet to metal. But don't get me wrong I'm not saying that you have to be fake and walk around being all sad because you feel that you're not being honest to yourself. I'm saying that you have to compromise here and there in order to make new friends and then after wards when you know that person better you become more you. No don't tell me that's being fake because it really is completely normal. I'm sure everyone does it. Or maybe it's just me.

Though if you're one of those people that don't want any attention and just want to fade away from the spotlight. Then be my guest and lurk in the background. Being involved in the livelihood of University may just get you some great credentials to put on that CV of yours. So take my advice and get involved in all that University has to offer because first year only happens once (Well normally).

Be yourself but not so much. No one likes it when you come up to them and say "Hi, my chainsaw is oiled up and your limbs look quite tasty".

So take it easy and don't come on too strong on people when you're making friends in that time we call O-week.

Peace, Love and Tequila
Lesh

0 comments: