Place your bets please (Opinion Piece)

Saturday, October 18, 2008

While sitting at on a bench at Union one night I couldn’t help but notice this boy positioned against the wall talking to this girl. From where I was seated all the tell tale signs of them flirting with one another seemed to be there. She would touch his arm while she spoke to him, try to laugh extra loud at the joke he made to let him know that she finds him funny, bat her eyelids and of course twirl her hair with her fingers. I ask myself why she is trying so hard to impress this guy. Did she not see the other two girls he tried his luck with earlier in the night?

Its situations like this that really grates my carrot because some girls would define a good night out as having way too much to drink and meeting guys. I don’t think you can call them guys they should be called hyenas or better yet vultures who prey on the drunk and naïve. Don’t get me wrong I’m not some kind of feminazi who wants to annihilate the male species so women can run around freely with unshaven legs while they burn their bras. I am just against the idea of exploiting others whether they are male or female to satisfy your hormonal or even sadistic urges.

It might seem like I’m being melodramatic but after hearing students talk about the games that some guys play like “hunt the grunt”, “seal clubbing” and “horse racing” it makes me wonder if am I taking this seriously enough.

As far as I know “hunt the grunt” involves placing bets on who can sleep with the most unattractive girl (according to the participants) during the course of the night. Another sport that has similar guidelines is “seal clubbing”. This is slightly different as instead of trying to sleep with the most unattractive girl they can find, the search is on for second and third years students to find a first year student to bed.
If being physically intimate with your victim is not quiet your cup of tea there is always horse racing. At the start of the year bets are taken on who people think is going to put on the most weight by the end of the year. It gets better: the winner of the horse racing contest gets a prize for his astounding achievements.

Yes, these are just some of the games our fellow first years enjoy indulging in during their spare time. I’m not sure which I’m more repulsed by, the fact that people can actually do this as a sick form of entertainment or the fact that the people taking part in these activities are the future of our country. If these are the future lawyers, politicians and journalists of the country then we should be prepared for a pretty bleak future, if it could possibly get any worse.

0 comments: